Saturday, 23 February 2013

New Motivations

So this is where I start a new blog to keep track of progress through my "life plan".  You know things are getting out of hand when it's nearly 3am on a Sunday morning, and yet you think it's a great idea to get all pro-active about your career choices.

I just started up my Indiegogo campaign to try to raise funds for the next two years, as it's looking pretty like the proverbial selva oscura right now in terms of feasibility.  But where there's a will there's a way, I'm hoping.  Essentially, I've worked out that I really need to get on with learning some new languages, and will be (hopefully) starting 3 new ones this summer.  One of them definitely needs to be non-European, so I'll just have to see what I find easiest/most comprehensible out of Japanese, Russian and Arabic.  My bets are that it won't be Arabic.  Russian I reckon would be most likely here, what with characters and latin letters being generally equal (as opposed to Japanese characters being at least a syllable in Hiragana and Katakana, and sometimes more in Kanji), and with the grammar apparently being quite close to German.  Plus the literature is lovely and miserable, and would be great fun to study if I get onto the UCL course I'm currently drooling over.

Seriously though, the course is fab.  The options I'd most like to take, given the ones available at the mo, would be Advanced Translation From & Into Italian, Advanced Russian (assuming I get that far with it), Introduction to Programming and Scripting (!!!), and Language & Translation.  And of course, I'd love to do my dissertation either on Dante in translation, or to continue the theme from my UG diss and look at some Opera libretto and musical interpretation.  Yummy.

I'm going to leave it there for now, but if anyone happens to trip over this embryo of a blog and have a bunch of money they don't know what to do with, please help me out: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lingua-franca/x/2495965?c=home :)  Even £1 would be a good start just to get things going, and sharing the link is SUPER helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment